The fall and winter seasons are my favorite time of the year because of the cold but relaxing weather and all the delicious smelling homey desserts. Having a slice of warm coffee cake on a chilly morning screams “winter is here!” to me. Not only this, but baking always gets me into the holiday spirit. My personal favorite is pumpkin pie, though I enjoy all holiday desserts. In the spirit of the season, here’s the recipe I use to make a delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte Coffee Cake.
- 2 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup espresso
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl mix together flour, brown sugar, white sugar, canola oil, salt, and pumpkin pie seasoning. Mix until combined.
- Remove 1½ cup out of mixture and add to a small bowl.
- Add chopped pecans to the small bowl and add cinnamon. Stir and set aside.
- In the large bowl that contains the remaining mixture, add milk, pumpkin puree, espresso, egg, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Whisk together until there are no more lumps.
- Grease and flour a 9” springform pan (a normal cake pan or a 13×9” glass pan will also work) and add cake batter.
- Evenly sprinkle the pecan topping over the cake batter.
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (If using a 13×9” pan cook for 40 minutes.)
- Let cool, then enjoy!